Manager, Production Engineering
Mountain View, CA | Engineering | Full-timeApply for this job
Tubular Labs is at the forefront of the digital video revolution, providing media companies, brand marketers, and agencies, such as Comedy Central, Disney, BuzzFeed, and CBS Interactive, with the actionable insights they need to make better content and distribution decisions. We do this by tracking over 5 billion different videos across all major digital platforms, processing all that data using the latest in big data technologies, and presenting the resulting insights using a best in class user experience. Our goal is to combine simplicity and power to deliver an awesome user experience.
As a fast growing startup, we are expanding the engineering team in order to address the explosion of opportunities in this new market. In order to ensure success in this growth, we are looking for a leader for our Production Engineering team to define, design, implement, and operate the core infrastructure that drives our business. Our platform is deployed across AWS and our service ingests terabytes of data every per day and process thousands of requests per second. We use a combination of black box testing, heavy automation, configuration management processes, and tons of metrics to keep everything running smoothly. We are looking for a leader that emphasizes stability and reliability, and can balance those needs with the desire for speed and agility common to a fast growing startup.
In this job you will get to:
- Be hands on with the latest in big data, web application, and CI/CD technologies
- Collaborate with a high performing engineering team with some of the strongest talent in Silicon Valley
- Provide DevOps technical leadership to not just the Production Engineering team but also the entire Engineering organization
- Work with a team of talented individuals working on the infrastructure that supports billions of videos and petabytes of data
Your Responsibilities will include:
- Manage all aspects of the infrastructure as a key hands-on leader
- Manage, hire, and mentor a high performing team of engineers
- Collaborate with software engineers to design, deploy and operate a robust and performant infrastructure
- Work with external vendors to plan for and integrate new technologies
- Implement deployment processes and automation to operate and scale the infrastructure
- Own backend-services and infrastructure components like our Cassandra and Elasticsearch clusters.
- Develop and manage budgets for AWS spend
- Together with your engineering team, share an on-call PagerDuty rotations
Ideal candidates will have:
- 7+ years of operations experience in a high-availability Linux environment
- 3+ years of experience leading a production engineering or devops team
- Expertise with AWS (EC2, S3, VPC, RDS, Elasticache)
- Shell scripting knowledge and/or Python, Ruby, etc.
- Hands on experience with monitoring and logging tools such as Datadog, Logstash, Sensu, Nagios, etc.
- A passion for automated, scalable, and repeatable infrastructures (we use SaltStack)
- Effective collaboration practices with team, stakeholders and external vendors
- The ability to prioritize tasks, work independently, and respond to emergent issues accordingly
- A strong sense of ownership over system uptime and performance
- Exceptional interpersonal communication skills