Online Tutorials: Viewers Flock to YouTube for How-To Videos
By Carla Marshall · January 23, 2019
One of the most searched-for terms on Google in 2018 was “how-to,” so much so that Google called it out in its rundown of the most searched-for content in the U.S. in 2018. As such, we figured we should take a look at how how-to videos performed across the main social video platforms last year and highlight the most-viewed tutorial content by media publishers on YouTube and Facebook.
How-To Videos Generated 42.1B YouTube Views in 2018
Online video and how-to videos are a match made in heaven, so it’s little wonder that 42.1B video views of online tutorials were generated on YouTube alone last year. In fact, according to Tubular, the 5.5M videos uploaded scored an engagement rate of 1.5x, which is above the platform average. All types of creators uploaded how-to content around a huge variety of topics and genres with influencers generating 38.3B views, media and entertainment publishers garnering 1.2B views, and brands attracting 961M views.
If we take a look at the average video duration around how-to uploads last year, we can confirm the most views were generated around videos that lasted between 5-10 minutes, although those over 20 minutes attracted 2.3B views, suggesting viewers will invest in content if it offers value and answers the question the viewer has searched for:
The top influencer, Zic Zic, uploaded 245 online tutorials last year, aimed exclusively at young children. Its most popular how-to video, teaching kids how to learn about colors via a range of snazzy nail polishes, generated 125M YouTube views.
Some of the top media and entertainment publishers included Tasty, 5 Minute Crafts, and Brightside who published a catalog of video content around food, drink, and DIY projects. Of the top 50 how-to tutorials from media publishers on YouTube last year, 22 focused exclusively on lifestyle content, 13 on food and drink, and 15 on DIY. Let’s take a look at the top 10 most-watched how-to videos published by media and entertainment properties in 2018:
Top Media Publishers: How-To Content on YouTube in 2018
- DIY Life Hacks ! How To Get TRENDY With These Awesome DIY Hacks (Blossom)
- 33 Common Mistakes Every Woman Makes and How To Avoid Them (5 Minute Crafts)
- 30 Ideas on How To Plate Food Like a Chef (5 Minute Crafts)
- Animal Macaroons | How To Make Macarons | Homemade Easy Dessert (So Yummy)
- How To Make Super Mario Pull Apart Cupcakes (Craft Factory)
- How to Fall Asleep in 2 Minutes According to the US Navy (Brightside)
- A SEAL Team SIX Member Reveals How To Escape A Kidnapping (BuzzFeed)
- PAW Patrol: How to Make Marshall & Rubble Surprise Toys | DIY Crafts (Nick Jr.)
- How To Cook Meals Kids Will Love (Tasty)
- How To Make Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies (Tasty)
How-To Content Generates 27.4B Facebook Video Views in 2018
Facebook is also a go-to resource for viewers looking for answers via online tutorials, with 27.4B views generated in 2018. The 435K videos in this genre scored an engagement rate of twice the platform average. Again, all types of creators published how-to videos around a large variety of topics with influencers generating 6.9B views, media and entertainment publishers attracting 18.8B views, and brands garnering 690M views. Of the top 50 how-to tutorials from media publishers on Facebook last year, 18 focused exclusively on lifestyle content, 19 on food and drink, and 13 on DIY.
If we take a look at the average video duration around how-to uploads on Facebook last year, we can confirm the most views were generated around videos that lasted between 2-5 minutes, although over 14B views were generated around native uploads lasting between 30 seconds to 2 minutes.
Top Media Publishers: How-To Videos on Facebook in 2018
- How to deal with stress at work (HERB)
- How to Make a Tomahawk using Hatchet (DIY & Crafts)
- How To Custom Candy Paint and Full Graphics on Car (Viral TRND)
- How To Make Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers (Delish)
- How To Make Antipasto Squares (Delish)
- How To Make Cardboard AK47 That Sh00ts – With Magazine (Gamology)
- How To Keep Your Baby Entertained For Hours (UNILAD)
- How to self-rescue if you fall through ice (Bored Panda)
- How to go from dinner to cake (VT Food Envy)
- How to Marbleize Easter Eggs With This Shaving Cream Hack (Made by Me)